Friday, May 16, 2008

Why We Write?: Part Two

There's a certain 'wow' factor, when a writer writes a good book--a plot twist, a snazzy line of dialogue, a phrase in the exposition that blows the readers mind. For instance, every story needs a great opener--an eye catcher.

However, I disagree. When I write, the scenes go through my head as if I'm watching a movie. I am in the picture looking through the eyes of whatever character's point-of-view I choose. I feel, hear, and see what he/she experiences. I don't worry about the 'wow' factor, because I know if it's a good tale it will come.
I doubt that I am the only writer that had this experience.

Don't think too hard about that 'wow' factor in your novel. Just have faith that it will come. Don't try to complicate things. When I write a rough draft, it's almost as if I am speaking to a child--nice and simple. This also helps me write in active voice. The tweaking up comes in the revision process.

I'm not the kind of person that can write with an outline. When I go to write, at times I don't know what I'm going to plunk out next. I close my eyes and see the scene. It's quite a ride for me. Even the twists and turns in my book shock me as I am writing it.

I believe this is how writing should be done. It's like nature--spontaneous--moves towards choas. It's the writers that try to bring the words together to make sense of the jumble.

No comments: